One of my very favorite memories is coming home from high school and plopping down on the couch and relaxing as I listened to my 13 year old brother Danny play the piano. He was exceptionally talented at the piano and took lessons from a professor at BYU, putting in hours of practice everyday. I used to beg him to play for me, it was such a source of peace during a turbulent time of life. Plus he would finish and then get up and promptly start teasing me about this or that until I had to show him who was boss and take him down. His piano music was one of the things I missed first when he died three years later in a car accident.

Which is why I am thrilled now that my children are getting to a point in their piano playing where the sound of it gives me the same peace. All those years of hauling them to lessons is finally coming to fruition. As a parent I think it's rare to see the fruits of our labors so soon. Usually we have to wait until they leave home and enter the harsh world before we see some payoff!
No comments:
Post a Comment