Thursday, May 13, 2010

PANIC

I generally pride myself in remaining calm in most situations, but today I so didn't. I had just gotten home from picking up Rachel and Syd from school and was running around trying to do all the stuff I should have done today instead of shopping with friends. After about 15 minutes I noticed Rachel wasn't around and called for her. She didn't answer and I was a little irritated when I had to go search for her. After looking up and down and everywhere in the house I stepped outside and called for her. No answer. Of course I immediately ran to the pool, no Rachel. I went in the house and ordered Syd to help me find her. We looked everywhere! Closets, under beds, bathrooms, car, maybe she fell asleep somewhere, corners..... nothing. I started to panic after about 20 minutes, did she walk outside and get kidnapped? Did she fall down one of those drains I hate so much, those freaky ones just the right size for a child to slide into? My heart started to pound and I was trying to think of what she was doing the last time I saw her. This is the girl who won't leave my side at play groups, home or anywhere (usually annoying to me). I started praying in my head (you know I'm panicking now). I suddenly thought, would she have walked to the bus stop to look for the kids? No...... I was at a dead run through the neighborhood now, sure she was kidnapped. Just as I got to the bus stop guess who comes around the corner?? It took all my control not to pick her up and scream at her, instead I took her hand, marched her home and had a talk with her in her room that went something like this:

Mom: Rachel, you can't walk to the bus stop alone!

Rachel: Why, I've done it before.

Mom: No you haven't, you scared mommy so much!

Rachel: But I did it before, well I went part of the way.

Mom: No you haven't! You can't ever do that without a big person with you. Say you won't ever do that again!

Rachel: No I can't do that.

Mom: What do you mean you can't do that? Say it!

Rachel: I can't because I might do it.

Mom: Rachel do you know what a kidnapper is?......

And it all went downhill from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment